COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
COVID-19 pandemic is affecting many countries globally. India is one of them and third after America and Brazil. It has more than 33 lakh cases as on 27th August, 2020. However, the government has taken all the major steps to save life of people and as a result, the recovery rates gone up by nearly six lakh. Last three months of this pandemic has been crucial for all segments of our population like labourers, business men, industries, poor, farmers, health system, and economy and so on.
NDS at this juncture of pandemic:
Recently a project namely “Stop Diarrhea Initiative” successfully completed with the support of an international organization in District Hardwar Uttarakhand. The thematic area was to save life of thousands of children, through promotion of habit change attitude and adopt basic norms of wash. The present pandemic period has compelled people to adopt such practices in life. Corona Virus is totally different virus from other like, dengue, flu, malaria, diarrhea etc. It has been established that certain behavior changes or social adoption like use of mask, social distance, washing hands and stay at home, are only option of protection from disease. Being a social and responsible organization, NDS got actively involved in relief and awareness work in Delhi/NCR area and in some part of Uttarakhand State. Women and children are our focused target during this pandemic.
Since Covid-19 pandemic outburst in India, our objective of preventive measure in life get strong supports as best practices. However, health and behavior change has been core issues of the organization for last ten years in its agenda. NDS has been high lighting the issues of water, sanitation and health since 2013 in Delhi and Uttarakhand when the cloud burst occurred in the State. NDS and its team were first to reach to affected people with medical and relief material in Kedarbnath and Yamnotri region and covered nearly 140 villages within two months. Since its inception in disaster area in Uttarakhand, health and especially child health and protection have been the priority area of the organization. Last seven year NDS has been addressing all these issues with distinct emphasis on change habits. Further, we worked on:
- 1. Distribution of sanitizer and mask in Delhi/NCR and Uttarakhand
- 2. Food for families for nearly two months
- 3. Nutritious food especially for children, pregnant and lactating mothers living in rural, slum and unauthorized colonies Delhi/NCR and Uttarakhand
- 4. Hygienic kit and sanitary pads to the adolescent and girls in Delhi/NCR and Uttarakhand
- 5. Virtual counseling to the families especially youth and students Delhi/NCR and Uttarakhand
- 6. Collaboration and association with Govt. agencies, NGOs and individuals to reach each needy and poor family in rural area, slums and unauthorized colonies.
Various Impact of pandemic:
- 1. Economy of our country has gone down 3.1% in last fiscal year 2019-20. Sudden requirement of expenses on health system has blocked all welfare activities in the country which is direct affecting to the poor and needy
- 2. Migration of nearly 4 million small workers, labourers, from metropolitan cities to their native places created lot of economic burden on the government as well as migrants
- 3. 140 Million People including professionals lost their jobs within last three months of pandemic. More than 45% of households across the nation have reported an income drop as compared to the previous year. Unemployment rose 6.7% during the period which is a serious concern for coming period.
- 4. Domestic violence arises within the families due to stress, panic and isolation. Young people and children are most affected and sufferer. Data of such cases are still awaited.
- 5. Economic stress, job concern and family safety has raised suicide attempts in the society. Present scenario indicates that such incidents will increase in future and social conditions of the society will deteriorate.
- 6. Children below 5 years and specially poor and malnourished are most affected as Anganwadies are not working in the community where these children were taken care by Government. An Angalwadi is a part of child health system in India. There are 1.4 million Anganwadies in all over India and covering nearly 56 million children below 5 years.
- 7. Incidents of family separation is being observed which is certainly because of unemployment, economic and family concern and uncertain of future
- 8. Trauma, depression, irritation and impatience has increased among people and there is urgent need to address the issue
- 9. Mother and child immunization process has totally been struck especially in the community. Due to covid-19 pandemic health system of India is unable to taking care of pregnant women, lactating mothers and children. This is causing a serious concern in the community
- - Delhi State Aids Control Society, New Delhi
- - ADOBE Foundation USA
- - Save the Children (Bal Rakhsa Bharat) India
- - Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) India
- - Silicon Valley Foundation USA
- - Community and friends